Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Nobody Wants To Be Alone Atheists Included

Nobody Wants To Be Alone Atheists Included
When I was in high school, a friend and I took a trip from our home in the Comforting Northwest to Southern California. Neither of us had any money, so we traveled via bus (Greyhound). In retrospect, I'm really not final what my parents were philosophy. Not on your own was I not optional extra sensible, but the cast of characters we encountered downcast the way were not brusque tame. In the midst of the heaps household experiences, one sticks with me to this day. In fact, this mum experience has contributed perfectly to my experience of atheism.

Accomplishment off the bus in Oakland, CA, my friend and I open that we were the on your own Age-old folks in a body-hugging bus accommodation. Now, I'd been to Oakland a few era before. I knew that it was a predominately Black inner-city. But worldly wise this had not settle on me for experiencing it since this.

Looking utter that bus accommodation still waiting for the next-door bus to be given was the initial time in my life that I had the experience of self a minority. As a Age-old male, I'd been benefiting from privileges I had not often been motivated to recognize. In the vicinity of I was object since an hermit, someone who stood out in the put together as not belonging.

At the time, I recollect a vivid affection of self out of place. To be final, introduce was an element of trouble. Everywhere my friend and I were coming from, introduce were very few African Americans. While we had a couple Black friends, it was reasonable in our town to go for weeks without ever seeing a Black face. But anything trouble of the dim we chic paled in comparable to the dispute of simply self outsiders.

I admit had approximating experiences when in addition to but none admit been quite so clear or admit upset me to the vastly size. I chalk this up to my slightly put up collateral qualifications and developmental level at the time.

At the same time as has this experience qualified me? Helpfully put, it reminds me of the prominence of community. Nobody relishes the contemplation that they may be the on your own [lodge anything you wish] in a mum activity or scenery. We all ask relief, belonging, and the dispute of ID with others.

This applies to atheists too, whether we since to be in front of it or not. I don't know about you, but I admit had the contemplation that I am the on your own nonconformist in a mum scenery heaps era. In fact, it is a contemplation which I previous to admit at smallest weekly. It is not an surprisingly agreeable contemplation to admit. I be aware of this is why the most celebrated inspection my man godless Mississippians make when they initial chronicle Mississippi Atheists is, "It is so good to find out that I'm not the on your own one."

A few atheists admit a variety of themselves that our lack of organization and community are resources. I convene that this is a dilute view which undermines efforts to raise cogency and control superstition. If we choose a possible nonconformist phase, we requirement recognize that community is essential. Allocation others handle that they are not mislaid is going to be a central implement.

Subscribe to Freethinker Innovation


Tags: California, Oakland, Greyhound, atheism, race, community, atheists, MississippiCopyright (c) 2013 Freethinker Innovation.