Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Psychology Of Tarot

The Psychology Of Tarot Cover I want to start by telling you what I am not. I am not a new age guru, I hate those guys. I think they are phony, pompous, and banal. Nor do I believe in religion, astrology, fortune telling, or crystals. For the most part I look to science for answers to my deep questions not religion. The point I’m making is I am not your typical tarot enthusiast.

I am not ashamed to admit that tarot has become an important tool of self exploration. Tarot has given me a deeper understanding of myself. Since I started reading tarot I’ve discovered meditation, became a vegetarian, and I understand more of what I want out of life. I have searched my emotions further than I ever have before and because of this I see my world differently.

Having said that, I do not feel tarot cards need to be in any way mystical. Because tarot communicates through images, it helps you think in terms of symbols while forcing the analytic part of your brain to form explanations for those symbols. It is probably more like how the mind works in a dream state.
For me this has resulted in an awaking of sorts. When I pull a tarot card its image compels me to form meaning. I think about the card and what advice I can glean from it or how it could apply to my life. To accomplish this I must examine my emotions, thoughts, and experiences deeply; in essence become my own therapist.
It is my opinion that the deeper you explore yourself the more self reliant you become. You find that you have the solutions to your own problems. You realize that you have a higher tolerance for the drama of life. Tarot for me has been a catalyst for this sort of self discovery.

The key is to have a clear, analytical, but open mind. Don’t fret about a negative card or constantly ask about what is going to transpire in the future. The future, what ever that is, will happen in its own time. Use the tarot cards for the present. Focus on questions about how to overcome obstacles and setbacks now.
To get started you need to find the right tarot card deck. I like the Thoth deck because it is full of beautiful imagery and esoteric symbolism. Follow your instincts when choosing. Make sure you purchase accompanying books about tarot as a guide for interpretation. Also there are plenty of online sites that will make understanding tarot easier. I Personally like http://www.angelpaths.com because it provides self affirming interpretations.

After you gain a solid foundation in reading tarot, try coming up with your own meaning for the cards. You might find that your truest personal thoughts and feelings will bubble to the surface. This might be painful at first, but it will also be cathartic. For me exploring my own pain helped me see myself and others in a more accepting light.

It is important to remember that making greater sense of your life can be approached in many ways. Don’t be quick to judge the merits of anything on face value. A mind that is open but discerning has the possibility for great insight. Tarot for me is another tool for my own search of meaning. Maybe it could be one for you as well.

Books You Might Enjoy:

Arthur Edward Waite - The Pictorial Key To The Tarot
Phil Hine - Aspects Of Tantra
Edna Kenton - The Book Of Earths
Aleister Crowley - The World Of Tarot
Aleister Crowley - Psychology Of Hashish